For all high school student athletes looking to attend college in the coming years...
What are some of the questions to ask when choosing a college or university?
COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY
- Distance from home?
- Is the university in an urban or rural setting?
- What is the student enrollment?
- What is the size of the campus?
- What are the residence halls like?
- Must students live on campus?
- What are the campus activities?
- Is this college or university a commuter or residential campus?
- What is the vision/mission statement of the university?
- Is the campus safe? Is it a friendly environment?
- Does this college or university have my major?
- How many years will it take me to get through my major?
- How strong is my major at this college/university?
- What is the student to professor ratio? What is the average class size?
- What is the graduation rate for the university, students in my major, athletes, the program?
- What percent of graduates are placed out of my major?
- Do student-athletes get priority scheduling?
- Is tutorial help available? Writing center? Are study tables required?
- Are professors willing to work with the schedule of an athlete?
- Does the coach monitor grades / class attendance? How?
- What is the vision/core values of the program?
- What kind of tradition has the program established?
- What level of commitment has been made to the program by the college or university/athletic department?
- How strong is the conference?
- What was the win/loss record last season? Over the past 5 seasons?
- Where did the team finish in the conference last year? Over the past 5 years?
- Did any team member receive All-Conference recognition? All- American recognition?
THE COACH / TEAM
- How long has the coaching staff been there?
- When does the head coach’s contract end?
- What best describes the head coach’s style of coaching?
- What is the player/coach relationship like?
- What kind of “team building” activities does the team do?
- What is the style of play?
- Do freshmen get an opportunity to play? Is “redshirting” an option?
- Do the players get along?
- How are captains selected?
- What are the team’s yearly goals? Who decides them?
- Does the team get support from the student body? From the community?
- Does the team have a full time athletic trainer? Does he/she travel with the team?
- Is the team involved in community service activities?
TRAVEL/ COMPETITION SCHEDULE
- How does the team travel? Farthest road trip?
- Where does the team stay on road trips? How many to a room?
- How many classes (on the average) are missed in the first semester? Second semester?
- What does the non-conference schedule look like?
- Does the team play in any tournament?
- On what days does competition take place?
- Does the team play double-headers? How many?
- Does the university have the opportunity to host the conference tournament? Regional tournament? National tournament?
- Will there be an opportunity to take a “nice trip” during my career here?
- What is the locker room like?
- Does the team have its own team/film room?
- Does the team practice and play games in the same facility?
- What is the weight room like? How many teams share it?
- What is covered by the scholarship?
- When would a scholarship not be renewed?
- What would happen to the scholarship if a career ending injury occurs?
- What are preferred, invited and uninvited walk-on situations? How many earn a scholarship?
Are these required of an athlete in the program?
- Summers spent on campus taking classes?
- Work summer camps?